Sunfish is completely different from other kinds of fishes not only for their size but also for their odd shape. Have you ever caught a sunfish; it is very important to know some things about sunfish before eating it.
The scientific name of the sunfish fish is Mola Mola, and also known as aMola in many countries for its scientific name. The sunfish live on the shallow water level where the sun illuminates the water from where it got its name.
The larger sunfish species are endangered; therefore, their sale and fishing are banned in most countries. However, you can see the rules and regulations about fishing in your country; many countries such as Japan, Korea, and Taiwan, which are known for the best Mola recipes around the globe.
The sunfish is safe to eat and is very delicious; you may have to go far to find it. If your state rules allow sun fishing, you can enjoy flavorsome recipes. The preparation method of sunfish is different from typical fishes; you must know the right method to prepare tasty sunfish.
The sunfish is best to eat in winters but can be enjoyed at any time of the day. The sunfishes live in a warmer environment; you may have to go to tropical areas to find sunfish for fishing or eating.
Following are the species of sunfish:
There is a total of 28 species of sunfishes; the most commonly known sunfish are as follows.
- Ocean Sunfish:It has long dorsal fins and anal fins, which makes it a unique species of fish. Ocean sunfish is the most commonly known species for fishing and its position in almost all cultures such in japan this fish is considered a sign of happiness.
- Sharptail Mola:Unlike Ocean sunfish, the tail of Sharptail mola grows at a distinct point, which makes it unrounded. Sharptail mola grows in huge sizes. The skin is much smoother when compared to the rough skin of ocean sunfish.
- Southern Sunfish:The southern sunfish is only named southern but is almost found globally. Most of the characteristics of the Southern Sunfish and ocean sunfish are the same.
- Slender Sunfish:Slender Sunfish is one of the smallest sunfish species; these species only grow up to 1-meter length, which is far less than any other fish of its family.
- Bluegill Sunfish:The bluegill sunfish is a type of sunfish which is smaller in size when compared to other fishes of its family. It is a freshwater sunfish and is highly liked by fishermen for fishing.
- Hoodwinker Sunfish:Hoodwinker is one of the latest discovered species; as the appearance is almost the same as Mola Mola, people assumed it ocean sunfish.
Characteristics of sunfish:
Some of the characteristics of the sunfish are as follows.
The sunfish is an odd-looking fish and does not have a true tail, and the dorsal is a very long and flattened body. While the smaller species like slender and bluegill do have end tail. You should see the picture of sunfish, and next time you will identify it on a very first look.
These fishes have round knobby tails, which make them unique in fish species. Their skin is scaleless and rough, and their bones are very soft. The smaller sunfish looks like any other fishes but differs in common characteristics.
The sunfishes are very big and can weigh up to thousands of kilograms. It is one of the heaviest bony fish. The average size between the fins of sunfish is almost 9 feet. These fishes are very heavy and need a special technique to be caught.
These fishes can grow up to 11 feet long and 10 feet long. The slender sunfish is the smallest Sunfish fish and only grows one meter long. It is widely known for its fishing purpose and its remarkable taste. The smaller species of sunfish such as Slender sunfish only grow 1 meter long while the Bluegill sunfish only grows to one foot.
The sunfish habitat is tropical areas and found in five oceans. The area of Cape town is known best for habitations as all five species of sunfish are spotted here. These fishes are not found in cold water because these fishes can not tolerate low temperatures.
The habitat of sunfish is also dependent on the species of the sunfish. For example, the Bluegill sunfish live in ponds, lakes, and rivers.
How does a sunfish taste like?
Many people say even without tasting it that it tastes like a lobster, which is not correct. Sunfish is a bit insipid taste like Black Sea bass, which is highly liked by many fish lovers. The sunfish is also referred to as panfish when it comes to its recipes.
The taste of sunfish is greatly affected by their habitat. Unlike most fishes, sunfish has a unique but delicious taste. As the cooking method is different from other fishes, the right preparation is a must to enjoy its flavorsome taste.
What do sunfish eat?
There is no doubt that the ocean sunfish is a large fish species, but their mouth is small. Jellyfish is the favorite food of sunfishes, and when not available, Smalls fishes, zooplankton, and algae are also acceptable. These fishes have to swim several kilometers to fill their belly because it only eats seagrass, small fishes, and jellyfishes.
What do freshwater sunfish eat?
All the sunfish species are carnivores and easts small fishes and seagrass.
Unlike most fishes, Mola is a huge species, and you cannot catch it with any typical gear. The sunfish can weigh up to 2500 pounds, which is quite hefty to handle. Long Shank wire hook is used for catching big fishes like sunfish.
The sale of Mola is prohibited by authorities and governments of many countries as the sunfish lies in the Endangered Species category. But it does not mean you do sunfish fishing; you can get a fishermen license from authorities to do sunfish fishing at the only individual level.
These fishes are not harmful but are so curious. You can also swim with sunfish if you know scuba diving. The sunfish is not harmful to humans, which makes it safe to swim with them in water. You can see videos on the internet where scuba divers are swimming with huge sunfishes.
The heavy loads of sunfish parasites are present on and in the body. These are also known as mites and are present in almost all sunfish species. These mites cannot bear the pan heat, but you can also remove them if it bothers you.
Can you eat green sunfish?
If the water is good enough to eat other fishes in the pond or lake, then there must be no issue with the green sunfish. Many people consider them extremely poisonous, which is not right as many people fishes for green sunfish and enjoy it.
However, the taste of the green sunfish is like any bream; it is a bit strong than bluegill, which makes it the choice of fish lovers.
Make sure if the water is not clean so that its fishes can be consumed, it would be better to leave fishes in the pond or lake. It might be risky as many cases have been reported for eating bad water fishes.
According to experts, bobber fishing is the best way to catch sunfish, as it is very easy as well as effective. Sunfish are easy to catch as their behavior is gentle and curious, which makes them attracted to the bait.
No doubt, these fishes are easy to catch but still need the right equipment to carry out effective fishing. A long shank wire hook instead of typical small hooks are used for catching sunfish.
Worms and nightcrawlers are considered the best baits for catching sunfish; one can also use crickets, grasshoppers, and mealworms as bait.
Cleaning and cooking sunfish:
As the sunfish are easy to catch, many fish lovers like to catch them their selves to enjoy delicious meals. The very first and important part of cooking sunfish is cleaning it. The following are the steps to clean a sunfish.
- Remove the scales: You can remove the scales of bluegill or slender sunfish using a fish scaler. If you don’t have one, you can also use a serrated edged knife.
- Remove the fins: Remove the fins and tail of the sunfish to prepare it for cutting. Remove dorsal, caudal, and anal fins and dispose of them
- Cut off the head:The very first part of cutting a sunfish is cutting its head off; no specials incisions are required. Remove all the organs using a sharp knife through the head section.
- Cut into slices: The sunfish is referred to as panfish, but you can cut according to your recipe or as you desire. You can fry a whole fish if you want or fillet your sunfish. Filleting the sunfish will require the right method to slice off the sunfish meat.
One can cook fish in hundred of ways. You can look for some delicious sunfish recipes on the internet and can enjoy them at home.